About Witney Carnival
The Carnival has been a highlight of the year in Witney since 1928.
It was first started by the then British Legion (now Royal British Legion). It was originally held on King George’s Recreation Field at Newland, and most local firms such as Early’s Blanket Factory and schools would decorate a float for the procession – much the same as today.
Carnival came to a halt after the outbreak of the Second World War but in 1988 it was revived by Witney Lions, Witney Rotary Club, Witney Round Table and Witney Rugby Club. After restarting it was more a fete than a carnival and was held at Cogges. More recently it has been held on the Leys and continues to flourish as the town’s most popular family event and entry remains FREE.